Thursday, February 25, 2010

Book # 5: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

by Douglas Adams

Saw the movie, only remember the beginning-- thought it was extremely cheesy...

As for the book, initially thought it wasn't turning out much better than the movie, though reading about the incredibly absurd events taking place is easier and more entertaining than trying to watch them turn out on the movie screen.  I generally like wordy humor, so his general style fits my sense of humor, but still, there's something stopping me from really enjoying this book.  Is it the overly science fiction aspects?  Or the lack of relationship development and a large focus on plot and description?  I don't really know. 

(Spoiler alert) When Zaphod said that his brain had been altered, I finally felt intrigued (previously I was mostly annoyed and slighly bored by the book).  I'm not sure if this glimpse of a plot, outside the realm of improbabilities meshing together into abusurdity, will cause me to read more in the series.  Probably.  At least the next one.  We'll see where this leads.

No comments: