Monday, February 15, 2010

Book # 3: Julie & Julia

by Julie Powell

Let me start by saying I tend to be a read-the-book-first-then-see-the-movie girl.  I also most of the time will hold that the book was better than the movie.  In this case I am torn.  I LOVED the movie!  I'm not sure if it was understanding the feeling of being in a rut (which having almost three kids in three years will do to the best of us) or the way Julia Child came across as such a lover of life and everything to do with it.  Either way, I not only had high expectations for the book, but I was also scared it would flop after the movie proved so good. 

Well, it didn't flop.  The book was funny and a fast read (perhaps because I've been caught in the thought-provoking book zone for quite some time).  Some would get a tad frustrated by Julie's ability to frequently have a crisis about the smallest thing.  It did get on my nerves, but at the same time, being the pregnant, hormonal maniac I currently am, I could really relate.  And she knows how to tell a good story, even if her morals and language are at times shady (for Orthodox Christian right-winged me).  Overall, I enjoyed it.  I needed a dose of light-hearted dramedy.  I will be seeking out the next book she's written, and if I could catch a glimpse of a vacation in the near future, would bring it to the beach, as it would be a great book to read out in the sun.

At the same time, I will say I liked the movie better; in fact, it will be on my birthday list.  I will also be borrowing Mastering the Art of French Cooking from the libary to peruse, and I might just pick up a biography about Julia Child while I'm there. 

And for the first time this year...  MommyMeg:  I'm ahead!!!  :)

1 comment:

Mommy Meg said...

Not ahead anymore! :-D