Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book # 8: Wives and Daughters

by Elizabeth Gaskell

If you like Jane Austen, then pick up this book.  While it is unfinished (the author passed away before completing it), you  can see where the story is going.  My copy had an article at the end describing what the author had told others she was planning to write.  It is very well written, and has a similar feel to the lesser read books by Jane Austen.  It is no "Pride and Prejudice" as only Darcy and Elizabeth can duel it out with words, but the characters are intriguing and worth discussion.  There is a movie version on Netflix (instant) as well, and I actually watched the movie before reading the book.  Obviously the movie has an ending, so if you can't imagine the book's ending, you could always watch the movie afterwards.

And might I say that this book has hooked me on reading again.  I want to read again, and have been leaving the TV off to do so.  :) 

No comments: