Monday, October 25, 2010

Book # 23: The Disappearing Spoon

By Sam Kean

I have a weird fascination with books that instruct as well as entertain.  I have many times been picked on for enjoying travel writing.  This one intrigued me because it takes a look at the periodic table and tells all the interesting stories behind the elements.  I will say there were times that I was a tad stumped as the last real science class I took was in high school (Elementary Education doesn't require those hard math and science courses), but then again, I'm not sure everyone grasps quantum mechanics on their first attempt.  Not a fast read as you have to think more than when reading a book like, "Eat, Pray, Love", but one I would recommend as the information is presented in an interesting way.  It leaves you looking at items like aluminum foil or the ingredients in your tums with a slightly different understanding. 

No comments: