Monday, October 4, 2010

Book # 22: The Notebook

by Nicholas Sparks

I absolutely loved the movie, so the book fell short of my expectations.  The development of the characters was lacking, especially for how and why they fell in love.  It was too much implied destiny for me.  The overall concept was intriguing and classic, but I just expected more.  It almost seemed like over the top romance for me.  Maybe I would have enjoyed it in high school, but at this point in my life, I like to understand why people are in love, and just because they are destined to be doesn't cut it.  The movie did a spectacular job building on why they worked as a couple, and a number of my favorite parts of the movie weren't in the book. 

I'm going to try one more of Nicholas Spark's books, his newest one, because I will still admit that my disappointment might have been caused by enjoying the movie so much.  I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Mommy Meg said...

Book #22...AHHHH! I'm not even halfway done with #20. Feeling under the weather must be keeping you in bed, READING!

Kelly said...

Actually it was having to return them to the library and not being able to renew them--they were requested!