Friday, October 1, 2010

Book # 21: Committed

by Elizabeth Gilbert

I was disappointed.  While I generally disagree with Liz's outlook on life and her values and political standings, etc., Eat, Pray, Love was at least a story about a woman visiting places and working through things.  Even if I couldn't understand what she was working through or appreciate her struggles, I, at least, found her experiences while traveling intriguing.  Committed is (as she admits towards the end) simply a book of Liz trying to find a way to get over her distaste of marriage, in order to get her Brazilian "lover" a permanent US Visa by marrying him.  There were less travel stories, and mainly a series of Liz vents about how she felt about marriage and its past.

I really couldn't relate because I'm one of those people who Liz would find hard to relate to.  I am married, glad to be, and wouldn't have it any other way.  Never felt that not getting married was an option I wanted.  Never felt that not having children was an option I wanted.  And frankly believe that divorce is not an option either.  Yes, I realize it takes two on the divorce aspect, but I believe that all the soul searching and premarital hoo-ha that Liz did before getting married this time happened before I got married the first time.  So it's confusing because the 20ish year old that Liz describes before her first marriage was someone that frankly I never was.  Not that I'm bragging; I'm not trying to.  I'm just trying to say that it was extremely hard to relate to this book.  And frankly, I will be more cautious about choosing to read her books in the future because at times it just left a horrible taste in my mouth.   

No comments: