Monday, January 30, 2012

Book # 2: Water for Elephants

by Sara Gruen

I read this for a book group.  I was curious about it since it was made into a movie.  I will say that it did not live up to my expectations.  I loved the circus parts, and forming a good understanding of what the circus was like in the past.  The love story though just didn't thrill me.  It seemed forced or maybe too romance novelish.  But let me also say that I did NOT like the book, The Notebook, for the same reasons.  So it might just be me.  I like a lot of substance, and I tend toward classics and books that border on too much desciption.  I would have enjoyed reading a book filled with the circus stories and legends just as much, if not more because it would have been true.  Spoiler alert:  The end of the book was one of its redeeming qualities with the protagonist rejoining the circus to live out the rest of his life. 

No comments: