Friday, December 3, 2010

Book # 26: Skippy Dies

by Paul Murray

Don't read it.  It's one I would have stopped reading 150 pages in if I wasn't trying to compete with finishing books.  It tells the story of a teenage boy who overdoses on drugs after having multiple traumatic experiences at his Catholic boarding school.  Way too much teenage boy humor talking about girls and puberty, and the adult role models were soo clueless and depressing.  Pointless and meaningless sexual experiences, bullying, teachers misbehaving, fights, drugs, gangs, schools covering up problems, it's all in here.  I must say that if this is really how the author views the world, then we live in a pretty depressing place, or he does.   I think I was most disappointed in the parents and teachers he displayed.  While I understand that no one is perfect, these people were above and beyond not caring.  Everyone in the book, ultimately, was looking out for themselves.  Definitely not a Christian outlook on life.  So don't waste your time. 

2 comments:

Mommy Meg said...

Hmmm...sounds like perhaps the author was bullied, maybe sexually abused? Many teenagers' sexual experiences are meaningless & pointless as they are attempting to act like adults when they are not (plus for many other reasons). Sad. I agree that in reality people are so black & white, all good or all bad. I hated high school pretty badly, but not everyone was all bad.
Haven't read a book that bad in a long time. The last books I was disappointed by were The Reader and Atonement.

Mommy Meg said...

Correction: i meant to say that in reality people are NOT so black & white, all good or all bad.