Monday, September 6, 2010

Book # 17: The Pillars of the Earth

by Ken Follett

I read this book in high school (eleventh grade) and have been claiming it was my favorite book ever since.  It was interesting to reread it from my perspective now.  A lot has changed since eleventh grade.  I'm now an Orthodox Christian;  I've graduated from college; I'm married; and I have three kids.  So my perspective on life has definitely changed.  The main thing that surprised me was how graphic the book was.  Sorry to be blunt, but the sex and violence described in this book blew me away.  I couldn't believe that I read it when I was 17, and then I couldn't believe that my parents let me, though in all honesty they probably had no idea what was described.  The second surprise after I calmed down over the brutality and graphic nature of what was being described was that the book is just as good as I remembered.  The story is extremely complex.  The plot is interwoven through multiple characters' lives spectacularly.  It is truly a masterpiece!

The overall concept of the book is following the building of the Kingsbridge Cathedral.  In doing that we meet the Prior, who runs the monastery where the cathedral is to be built, two masons/builders and their families, and various Earls, Bishops, and Kings.  All of their lives weave together to either fight for or against the building of this church.  It's so complex and well researched that I honestly can tell you no more without writing for pages. 

I'm not sure if I would still say it was my favorite book, though I can definitely see why I would have said that in 11th grade.  It offered me an interesting look back at who I was and what I stood for.  A bit of pride was definitely part of my claiming it as a favorite then--who else at that age claims a nine hundred and seventy three page book, much less one about building Gothic cathedrals in the 1100's.  But now reading it, I struggle with the sexuality and brutality described.  I have never been a reader of romance novels and head for the classics more often.  I have read other books equally well written with less in your face violence.  So I will say it is Ken Follett's masterpiece, and one that I would recommend with a warning to be prepared.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

We just finished watching this on the tv and it made me want to read the book. They did it here in a series of 1-2 hour episodes.

Kelly said...

Read the book! You'll love it! It seriously does rank up there in my top ten.

And I saw the tv series on Netflix. Josh and I started watching the first one, but never finished them.